As promised, my writing routine is below. Since I schedule my writing, I’ll be just including what I do in the hour I’ve set aside most weekdays. My longer five hour weekend writing schedule’s rather similar, so just lengthen were noted if you’d like. Enjoy!
- Close all windows save the document for the manuscript (MS) and Youtube.
- Turn Youtube to my playlist for the MS. (Either #Gatekeeper or #Mahwaerm right now)
- Gatekeeper is mainly rock with some metal and a few Sia songs that border the rock / power ballad sort of line for me.
- Mahwaerm is orchestral and electronic production pieces like Audiomachine and soundtracks without lyrics.
- Put the playlist on repeat and minimize.
- Set timer to 30 minutes (half the playlist) and work on the MS writing until the timer goes off.
- Once the timer has gone off, pace / do some calisthenics to get my muscles going for 5-10 minutes. This keeps me from fidgeting too much and helps keep me from going into a state of hyperfocus or too deep into hyperfocus if I have the time to do the more intense version of this on weekends.
- Set timer to 30 minutes and continue working on the MS until the timer goes off.
- Save and close the document. Switch off the list.
- 5-10 minutes of a break then continuing onto another task.
With the break, it’s technically an hour and some, but I’m only writing for an hour of that. On weekends, I change the 30 minutes to 2.5 hours. While going hyperfocused might work well for some, I’ve found it’s like naps for me. Certain lengths of time are fine, and I can break myself out with a timer to move onto other tasks, but I’ve found hyperfocusing for an hour without a forced midpoint break leaves me a bit scattered, and anything longer than 3 hours leaves me disgruntled unless that one task is the only thing I have to do the whole day.
Pick and choose what you’d like if you want.